To obtain a burn permit contact:
- Ronnie Burch 422-1056 or 460-3661
- Mike Holmes – 479-1117 or [email protected]
- or Chris Holmes (nights and weekends only) 460-8001
Maine Open Burn Permit: Now available online
This online service allows people to purchase an open burning permit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Permits are $7.00 each and $2.00 from each permit goes to the organized municipality where it was purchased.
- Although permits can be purchased 24 hours a day, the default setting for allowable burn times is after 5:00pm and before 9:00am for unorganized towns, plantations and most towns. The exception to the default “after 5pm” restriction is when there is a steady rain or the ground is completely covered in snow. Some communities, particularly those with full time fire departments, have elected to override the allowable burn times and have authorized burning during the daytime. Please read your permit carefully and only burn during the times listed.
- Online Burn Permits are valid on Class 1 or Class 2 days. The person requesting the permit must verify the class day after 9:00AM on the day they intend to burn.
- This system is for brush piles, wood debris and agricultural burns only. Please contact the local fire department or the Maine Forest Service Regional Headquarters for campfire permits. Ashland Regional Office: 207-435-7963; Old Town Regional Office: 207-827-1800; Augusta Regional Office: 207-624-3700.
What you will need
- Burn Information including address and type of material being burned
- Printer to print your permit
- A Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card